HMX – first road trip, first check engine light

| суббота, 26 сентября 2009 г.

blink!

While I’ve had the HMX out and about town this spring, I didn’t take the chance to run it for an extended amount of time until last weekend, when I took it down to Musclepalooza, about an hour’s drive from Bennington. The stumbling issue I encountered earlier this year seems to have been resolved, and I’m still tracking down a belt squeal, and of course the exhaust isn’t finished and the rear suspension still needs rebuilt, but the biggest thing on my mind the whole way down to Lebanon Valley was a tapping sound.

Normally, the 4.0L is good for some lifter tapping when cold, but this tapping continued even after the engine had plenty of time to warm up. Performance remained excellent, though, so I pressed on, and right as I arrived at the dragstrip, the computer tossed me a check engine light.

When reading up on the OBDI system used on the HO 4.0L, I came to appreciate the check engine light and its ability (at least on this system) to display trouble codes by flashing the check engine light. OBDI code scanners are few and far between compared to OBDII scanners, so I’ve been relying on this system as my diagnosis tool. And as it so happened, the Spirit gauge cluster had an unused “check engine” spot, requiring only a bulb and a wire from the ECM.

So after the day’s events, I discovered that code 51, which the system gave me, indicated that the O2 sensor measured a lean condition. I thus figured the tapping was an exhaust leak, which introduced excess air upstream of the O2 sensor, so I retightened the manifold bolts. No more tapping, but the constant rain this week has prevented me from running the car long enough to clear the code.



Related posts:



Related posts:



0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий